Formerly the site of a fort built by volunteers
that was in use during the War of 1812,
Fort Fish was named after the chairman
of the citys Committee of Defense and is
now a site of interest in Central Park.
This mound, which is the highest point of
all the bluffs that once held forts, originally
served as a key spot for military defense.
Fort Fish was the largest and most heavily
armed fort located in the vicinity above theHarlem Meer. By the time the war ended on
December 24, 1814, when the Treaty of
Ghent was signed, like Fort Clinton it had
never fired a shot in its own defense.
Today all that remains is an isolated green
field with tall trees divided by a single
narrow broken path and highlighted by
the Andrew Haswell Green bench.